Friday 8 April 2016

Balsa Wood

I know that this isn't strictly Cardmaking but ....
I had several enquires about the Balsa Wood on my last post, so I thought I would try and let you know the thinking behind the buying/breaking of the Balsa Wood.
It all started when one of the ladies at my Craft Group, during some casual conversation, mentioned that Balsa Wood could be diecut!  My imagination went racing off and I could just imagine some steampunk cogs all embossed to look like metal ..... 
When I visited the art shop in town - see previous post - I bought the Balsa Wood. 
On my ATCs For All Forum is a crayon swap so I thought I would take this opportunity to try out the diecut Balsa Wood.
 I have some Heartfelt Creations dies and some Spellbinders Tim Holtz dies and a broken piece of Balsa Wood!!!
The wood and dies would not go through my Grand Calibur!  No way ...... and I was so upset.
I cut some ordinary printing paper - which wasn't very good with either dies and then tried some grey cardboard.  Better but the Spellbinder dies just would not cut - I think they maybe just for embossing.
Then I put the Balsa Wood through the Calibur on its own, it came out half the thickness so progress had been made.
I attached the HC dies and die cut the cogs and chain links!!! Yeah!!!
I was pretty impressed.
With suitable embossing powders arranged on the desk, I went to work, changing plain wood and grey cardboard into metallic objects.... Well, sort of .....
I got bored.
I pulled out the Distress Inks - all three of them! - and went to town ..... Balsa Wood absorbs the ink like .... wow!  soooo bright...... compared to the grey cardboard - see the two circles on the right.
I had a great afternoon, my Grand Calibur, inkpads, embossing powders and Distress Inks .... all to add to Crayonned cards - details over on my ATC Wannabee Blog!!!

And I still have some Balsa Wood left to play with!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Christine, a bug will caut balsa as its a little workhorse ..
    ..... might just have to hunt some out love the DI on it, very well done :)
    Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I see what you wanted the balsa wood for xxx

    ReplyDelete

I make my cards for sheer pleasure so thank you for taking the time to comment.